Saturday, February 25, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

_MG_4302.jpgWe had a lot of spaghetti squash in our garden last summer. Because it's a winter squash it keeps extremely well. We just store in a dark cool place and it keeps. I don't know much about how to prepare this type of squash as I'm not a big squash fan, but I'm also not very picky. I eat what we have in the house. After talking to some ladies at church I was given this recipe and we just love it. Nothing is left when we're finished with this dish.
_MG_4267.jpgFirst of all you want to cut your sqush in half lengthwise. Then cook it in the oven or microwave until the squash is soft and tender. (About an hour in the oven.)
_MG_4270.jpgThen just scoop the flesh out with a fork. It comes out so easily.
_MG_4272.jpgIt looks just like spaghetti noodles. How cool is that?
_MG_4275.jpgNow for the casserole we're going to add just a few things: bacon, green chile, cheese, eggs, and cream. Pretty easy, right?
_MG_4283.jpgScramble up your eggs and pour it over the top of the rest of the ingredients already waiting.
_MG_4287.jpgNext add some heavy cream. Yum!
_MG_4290.jpgMix it all together and put it into a cute baking dish.
_MG_4292.jpgPlace it in your fridge overnight. We want all the flavors to have time to marinate together.
_MG_4296.jpgThe next day bake it in the oven for about 45 minutes.
_MG_4297.jpgVoila! It's perfect for breakfast or brunch.
_MG_4298.jpgServe it up in a cute little Butterfly Gold bowl. ;)
Spaghetti Squash Casserole

1 large spaghetti squash
3 eggs - beaten
½ cup cream
1 1/2-2 cups cheddar cheese grated
1 can green chilies
1 lb bacon – cooked and broken into small pieces

Mix all ingredients together. Place into greased baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning stir and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 min or until eggs have set.

10 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm not a huge squash person either but that actually looks tasty. Let's face it, it has bacon it. It's got to be good.

DeAnn said...

I own that exact Pyrex casserole dish. :) That looks delicious. Lauren's right-where there is bacon, there is good food.

Kellee said...

What Lauren said. And your dishes look even cuter in action. If that is even possible!

Heather said...

I LOVE squash! This recipe looks sooo good.

I'm kind of mad at you, though, because those of us that didn't have enough forethought to grow our own spaghetti squash now have to wait until late summer to try this.

I should have known...

We're doing some raised garden beds this year and I'll definitely plant some spaghetti squash!

Heather said...

P.S. Love your Pyrex.

Unknown said...

Heather you can buy spaghetti squash at the grocery store. I see at Sunflower a lot for $1/lb. Not bad.

oh josephine said...

I enjoy your blog-not sure if I've ever commented (I found you from reading other Lutheran blogs). I had just picked up a spaghetti squash and saw your recipe the next day, however I made it with breakfast sausage- not bacon and it was quite delicious. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kathy Seeger said...

Jan - I am stalking your blog for recipes and made this for dinner tonight. LOVE using spaghetti squash this way! Next time I might try adding tomatoes, or broccoli and mushrooms instead of chilies. Last night we had your Mom's Asian Flair Chicken, which was a hit with the kids, although one of my son's is allergic to soy so I am going to have to find a no soy soy sauce :). Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Kathy, you can use Bragg's Liquid Aminos. It's a good soy sauce substitute.

Mary said...

Made this to bring to a family dinner tonight. It was a big hit! Most had seconds and some even thirds! Thanks for the recipe!