Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup

_MG_0152.jpgWe've been eating a lot of soup this winter. Even before it got really cold we were eating soup. We were eating soup so often for dinner that, my children, instead of asking what we were having for dinner, they asked, "Are we having soup for dinner, again?" This soup started out simple, but then I began adding things I found in my pantry and it was delicious!
_MG_0171.jpgThese squash-like things grew in our garden this past year. I believe they are some sort of volunteer acorn squash that never fully turned a color. They've survived in our dark, cool basement pantry, so I decided to dice one up and throw it into the soup. It ended up having a potato like texture, but was a little creamier than that. I also added a quart of green beans that we canned this year. That wasn't in the original recipe either, but it was a nice addition.
_MG_0154.jpgOnce everything has simmered for awhile add your spinach and heat it just until it wilts.
_MG_0155.jpgServe it up immediately. This soup not only has a fabulous aroma, but the flavor is dynamite too! Maybe next time I'll add some green chiles or jalapenos to turn up the heat a bit. Mmm. . .
Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 8.42.12 AM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! They are patty pan squash! My brother loves them but I have yet to try them!
Susan Abrahamsen